Streamlining Business Through Rapid Process Assessment And Custom-Designed Systems
Client: DNA Diagnostics Center
As the largest and most experienced private DNA laboratories in the world, DNA Diagnostics Center (DDC) provides DNA testing services in the areas of paternity and other family relationships, forensics, and genetics. Its subsidiary, Veterinary Diagnostics Center, has provided DNA testing for animals (canine, feline, avian, and equine) since 2003. The company processes approximately 1,500-2,000 samples per month, using a system that encompasses mostly manual processes and uses outdated technology. Only a few employees in the company have a complete understanding of the current system and process it follows, which adds to the risk of error while processing samples and reporting results.
DDC wanted to:
- Increase employee efficiency by designing an order management system tailored to their unique process.
- Reduce the risk of inaccurate sample processing and results reporting by developing a system that utilizes a new “multi-sample” order concept.
- Modernize and streamline the technology used by DDC Veterinary IT services.
- To better understand existing DDC processes, Ascendum first conducted a Rapid Process Assessment (RPA) identifying key areas for process improvement and activities that should be automated. Through creating future- state models of their processes, Ascendum showed that by automating the front-end of an order, DDC could reduce its time by 51%, increase its throughput by 100%, and free up a management resource to focus on more strategic tasks.
- DDC now has a roadmap and clearly defined requirements for an eCommerce and order management system tailored to the needs of the business. It’s also much easier to visualize the system and onboarding takes half the time it once did.
“Ascendum was very professional and did an excellent job of learning our business in a very short period of time.”
DNA Diagnostics Center